From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 01:30:11
1 On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:34:28 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 27 May 2008 08:28:27 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
5 >
6 > > 1. Trouble saving
7 > > Will signatures help if a mailing list (ML) receives spam?
8 > > No. The admins won't accept arguments like "Those mails weren't
9 > > signed, it's not me". Signature or not the address gets its ban and
10 > > that's it.
11 >
12 > Is that true of every list? Do you know every list's owner or policy?
13
14 No, not really but the whole time I had in mind only this list and
15 those alike (anonymous, public and tech-oriented at the same time).
16 I apologize if I didn't make it clear.
17
18 > It's not only about spam and banning anyway. Someone could try to
19 > discredit you by posting inflammatory, abusive, racist or otherwise
20 > unacceptable posts in your name.
21
22 Not my name, the name of the account. Those are not the same thing,
23 especially in The Internet where everyone is anonymous by default. Some
24 use other people's names, others use nick names etc. Our names in this
25 list mean nothing. For example my account is expendable and I've
26 registered it exactly with the idea to get rid of it if it gets flooded
27 with spam.
28
29 > If every post you send to the list is signed, those unsigned messages
30 > lose credibility. By signing all messages, you are effectively saying
31 > "If I didn't sign it, I didn't send it".
32
33 Unsigned messages have no credibility anyways. There's no need to use
34 your signature to imply it and actually you can't do that by design.
35
36 > Of course, this all falls apart on lame listservs like Yahoo Groups
37 > that strip all attachments, including PGP signatures.
38
39 Not my problem. I don't use them. :)
42 Best regards,
43 Daniel