From: Ralph Seichter <m16+gentoo@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Setting up fetchmail to feed postfix
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 18:47:11
1 On 26.11.2017 18:46, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2
3 > those are Exim's local IDs, assigned by the list server host. Those
4 > are distinct from RFc 5322 Message-IDs, which are the closest thing
5 > to uniquely identify a message.
6
7 I am well aware of this, and this is exactly what I wanted to point out.
8
9 > So from the above it cannot be concluded that Peter's system sent the
10 > message twice: it might have, but it might equally have been the fault
11 > of the list server.
12
13 Peter's email was either sent to both of the following
14
15 smarthost03a.mail.zen.net.uk [212.23.1.20]
16 smarthost03d.mail.zen.net.uk [212.23.1.23]
17
18 in short succession or magically duplicated. Just save both messages and
19 run 'diff' to verify this. The other MUA-generated headers appear to be
20 identical, including "Message-ID: <1722168.phgiPb26BP@peak>". While it
21 is possible that zen.net.uk screwed up, I consider it more likely that
22 the message was sent twice, as more of their customers would notice a
23 systemic problem and probably be quite vocal about it. There's nothing
24 to be done if the smarthosts are actually stupid hosts anyway. ;-)
25
26 > FWIW, I am _not_ seeing any duplicates on this list [...]
27
28 Does NeoMutt perhaps suppress dupes based on message ID? Thunderbird
29 obviously does not.
30
31 -Ralph