From: Hans <linux@××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Project:Installer
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 15:20:10
1 On 18/07/15 03:25, James wrote:
2 >
3 > From [1] we have Project:Installer [2] which looks very interesting.
4 > However, If I were to create a new gentoo installer, I think
5 > I'd leverage ansible and the persistence mode (usb stick) code that
6 > LikeWhoa put together, as a basis for the effort. I'd be most
7 > curious to read other folk's ideas (strategies) to create a more
8 > automated installation semantic for installing gentoo systems. The handbook
9 > is fine; in fact it is great. But, many gentoo users that have performed
10 > more than a dozen gentoo installs sooner or later get around to their own
11 > installations customizations for a wide variety of valid reasons.
14 > Ansible would lend itself to expanded and very targeted types of system
15 > installs where an accomplished gentoo user could supplement the base install
16 > with a collection of specific packages and config settings; imho. Say for
17 > example a secure web or mail server, not that it would be the only
18 > way to build such a server, but just one specific method a particular author
19 > wanted to (share) publish. Surely there are other and better ideas that
20 > folks have used or that they are currently contemplating for routine gentoo
21 > installs?
24 > Maybe some discussion herein could help shape the efforts of [2,3]?
27 > Naturally, we should remember Release Engineering and their role
28 > as pivotal [3]. [1 and 2] are interesting to read.
31 > James
32 >
33 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo
34 >
35 > [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Installer
36 >
37 > [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng_GRS
41 I used to install and look after OpenSuse Desk and Laptops until systemd
42 showed it's ugly face. Now I install and look after several Gentoo Xfce
43 desktops and 3 OpenSuse Xfce Laptops. I use a Cut & Paste script to
44 install Gentoo on Desktops. The only manual parts are booting a Gentoo
45 USB stick, modifying hostname, ip address, user names and partitioning.
46 When completed. Wen done, log in as user and set up email accounts and
47 various eye candy.
48
49 OpenSuse install on laptop involves booting of a installation USB stick,
50 select Xfce Desktop, manually enter time zone, user name, counry,
51 hostname, ip address, Samba, login as user and and set up email accounts
52 and various eye candy.
53
54 I am to stupid to install and get Gentoo to work on Laptops.
55
56 My "dream" would be to have the OpensSuse Yast installer and
57 administration gui to install, configure and maintain Gentoo on Desktops
58 and Laptops. This should be easy for a programmer whois familiar with
59 Ruby and C. The Yast installer and administration gui's are nothing more
60 than gui interfaced to various command line utilities.