From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Processes hang - system dies
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:57:51
1 > > > **
2 > > >
3 > > > I have a very severe problem after a recent disk replacement. After a few
4 > >
5 > > > days running, all new processes just hang. The kernel reports:
6 > > My guess is disk failing or kernel bug. Install smartmontools and see if
7 > > smartctl -H <devicename> returns anything interesting.
8 > >
9 > > What kernel are you using? Try 3.7.1 if you're not already using that.
10 >
11 > That's my feeling too, since smartd is reporting sectors failing by the dozen.
12 > However the smartctl -H test gave me a clean bill of health. The kernel is
13 > 3.6.8, I have already upgraded with no improvement.
14
15 Personally I wouldn't try changing anything initially if it worked
16 before the disk change.
17
18 I would try a read-write test of the disk or use dd to write or read
19 many sectors possibly under >1 OS and machine depending on what
20 happens. Is SMART enabled in your BIOS?
24
25 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
26 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
27 universal interface'
28
29 (Doug McIlroy)