From: Saphirus Sage <saphirus497@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ibiblio dumps Gentoo distfiles to "save space"
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 23:06:29
1 On Feb 12, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
2 wrote:
5 > Imagine my surprise when the nightly rsync of Gentoo distfiles with
6 > ibibilo
7 > resulted in my distfile repository getting totally deleted. After a
8 > few
9 > emails wit the admins at ibibilo I finally got the answer that I was
10 > looking
11 > for... the truth...
12 >
13 >>> Jerry,
14 >>>
15 >>> We are no longer rsyncing the distfiles due to space constraints
16 >>> on our
17 >>> distributions volume. Gentoo's own instructions for setting up a
18 >>> mirror
19 >>> recommend excluding the distfiles directory:
20 >>>
21 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/rsync.xml
22 >>>
23 >>> If you need these files, you could try the other mirrors listed on
24 >>> this
25 >>> page:
26 >>>
27 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors2.xml
28 >>>
29 >>> Best,
30 >>>
31 >>> Matt
32 >>>
33 >
34 > I promptly emailed back an offer of two new 1,000 gig drives if they
35 > would put
36 > the gentoo distfiles back up and... no answer....
37 >
38 > Guess they really don't care.
39 >
40 > --
41 >
42 > ***
43 > ***
44 > ***
45 > ********************************************************************
46 >
47 > From the desk of:
48 > Jerome D. McBride
49 >
50 > 17:17:08 up 57 days, 23:24, 5 users, load average: 0.14, 0.09,
51 > 0.02
52 >
53 > ***
54 > ***
55 > ***
57 >
58 There are quite a few mirrors available to sync from; so one's dropped
59 support, it's a drop in the bucket. I'll admit, "space concerns" seem
60 to be a bit odd of a complaint, maybe it was more along the lines of
61 hosting fees? After all, a distribution server isn't exactly a low-
62 bandwidth operation.