From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems debugging a systemd problem
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 17:46:18
1 On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Others have already answered, but I will add that if you put "emergency"
3 > anywhere in the kernel command line, then systemd will boot to the rescue
4 > target; that's why I suggested to do it in my first answer.
5
6 I'm pretty sure that won't work for an initramfs - they're almost
7 certainly designed to ignore that instruction. Usually when somebody
8 wants a rescue shell, they want it in their root filesystem, and not
9 in their initramfs before it has pivoted. That is why dracut has
10 options like rd.break.
11
12 If the problem were with systemd/services/etc in the actual root
13 filesystem (once the actual distro has started booting), then putting
14 emergency on the command line should get you a rescue shell.
15
16 The same generally applies to openrc - if the initramfs isn't mounting
17 your root filesystem, then passing instructions to openrc won't do
18 anything since in that case openrc isn't even running.
21 Rich