From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need know-hows to fine-tune the kernel with new hardware
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 10:35:40
1 On Friday, 20 March 2020 14:56:26 GMT WooHyung Jeon wrote:
2 > Dear amazing mentors!
3 >
4 > I bought a new laptop, thinkpad E495. This laptop has Ryzen 3500U and
5 > vega gpu. The hardware specification for this particular laptop isn't
6 > the topic. I spent bunch of time to start X with this hardware, and then
7 > the 'gentoo-kernel-bin' came to my mind. And then it does the work.
8 >
9 > So, as you can see, this email isn't about 'how can I solve this
10 > issue?'. Rather about "Do you have your know-hows to fine-tune the
11 > kernel with the new hardware?". I'm doing (a) boot with a quite general
12 > kernel, such as sysrescuecd's live iso or Debian, and check '$lspci -k',
13 > (b) or turn on a few related options and then turn off one by one until
14 > something breaks or doesn't work well.
15 >
16 > Is there any other good methods to use?
17
18 lshw, lscpu, lspci, lsusb, lsscsi, dmidecode, are tools which will provide
19 information on the hardware you are using.
20
21 Using a LiveCD which has booted the same hardware successfully is also useful.
22 'lsmod' will show which modules are loaded by the LiveCD kernel. To see what
23 configuration the LiveCD running kernel is using:
24
25 cat /proc/config.gz
26
27 The LiveCD devs will have many more modules and a different configuration to
28 what you need or want to run on your system. After all they cater to many
29 different hardware and would like to be able to boot as many of them. You
30 would need only a few of the modules and kernel options according to your own
31 hardware.
32
33 If there is some hardware piece which is not yet configured, you can search
34 google on module or driver information according to the vendor id and product
35 id the above commands report.
36
37 HTH.