From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]Throttling/Restricting download speeds
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:43:42
1 Checkout the QOS modules in the kernel and the iproute package. There's
2 plenty of examples on the net as well as mailing lists and bundled
3 scripts that will serve as a base for what you want to do.
4
5 Also rsync and wget have bandwidth limiting options that may be
6 easier/more suitable for what you want to do. As with everything that
7 looks good, QOS has some undesirable effects on gross throughput and the
8 smoothness of traffic flow so it doesnt suit everyone. I dont think you
9 can dynamicly alter the rate of wget or rsync, but killing the process
10 and resuming with new parameters a minute or so later via an "at" or
11 "cron" job is easy.
12
13 I am in OZ and found that with iinet, one has to always be aware of the
14 dynamic change of ADSL rates that occur. Currently I am on 960/7616
15 up/down and it does go randomly go up or down. In the worst case you
16 could be limiting at a ceiling of 512k when you have ~8M+ available
17 (with QOS you need to set a ceiling rate equal to whats available) Never
18 did find a reliable way around that, but I have since dropped QOS as
19 with these rates it just isn't needed on a home system.
20
21 BillK