From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL: dev-db/postgresql, dev-db/postgresql-server, or virtual/postgresql-server?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 01:19:22
1 On Monday 22 December 2008 03:01:07 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 02:01:59AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > What's the rationale behind that? I can see why someone might want two or
4 > > more versions of php, python, perl or mysql.
5 > >
6 > > But postgresql? I can't imagine why it would be useful to the majority to
7 > > have SLOTs for postgresql. People tend to run one version doing one major
8 > > job, which is often not the case for the other examples above.
9 >
10 > The only advantage I see is upgrades. The dump and restore is a PITA,
11 > and if you forget and install the new before dumping, you have to
12 > reinstall the old, dump, and rereinstall the new. You could probably
13 > also set up Slony to manage both of them at once, running on different
14 > ports, and upgrade that way, btu I have never tried Slony.
15
16 Ah yes, dump and restore. I hadn't considered that.
19 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com