From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Install Issue
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:21:45
1 On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi Everyone,
3 >
4 > I hope someone will be able to "lead me by the nose" here.
5 >
6 > For a number of weeks now, I have been trying to install Gentoo on my
7 > new desktop.  I kept running into issues and due to time constraints
8 > when I was installing, I put off trying to resolve them.
9 >
10 > Today, I went through the install process, had a couple of issues, but
11 > was able to figure them out and got to the point where I was supposed to
12 > boot into my new system.  I got the boot menu, the boot process seemed
13 > to be okay, but when I got to the point where I assumed I should get a
14 > command prompt to finish up, all I got was a weird screen that was half
15 > black and half fuzzy with a bunch of colours (sorry, I can describe this
16 > any better).  I tried recompiling the kernel thinking it was a problem
17 > that I had created during the initial compilation, but that ended with
18 > the same result.
19 >
20 > The computer is a Dell XPS 8300
21 > It has a Radeon graphics card, but I wouldn't think this would be an
22 > issue until I tried to install X.
23 >
24 > Does anyone have any ideas?
25 >
26 > Regards,
27 >
28 > Colleen
29
30 Hi Colleen,
31 If you got past booting the kernel and into the init part of the
32 boot (where you see the green OKs) then it sounds like some problem
33 with either the X system or possibly the font set. I doubt the later
34 as that wouldn't be very likely to make the screen half black, etc.
35
36 What happens after the problem occurs but maybe you jump to a new
37 console? (Alt-Ctrl-F2 for instance) do you get a login prompt or is
38 that messed up also?
39
40 You might also try modifying your kernel line in grub (I assume
41 you're using grub) by appending gentoo=nox. That should stop X from
42 starting, if it is, and might give you a little more info.
43
44 If you do get a login prompt, then login and try
45
46 rc-update show
47
48 and post the results back.