From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A portage nuisance
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 00:58:47
1 On 10/28/2017 08:10 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
2 >
3 > In other words, I'm asking emerge to automate what I do - look at the
4 > output, find a subset of packages that I think will work, and then ask
5 > it to try again with just those packages. I would be very surprised if
6 > it iterated repeatedly down to the null set.
7
8 This should be possible. I've lovingly referred to this option in the
9 past as something like "emerge --just-fucking-do-anything". I can have
10 300 packages in my update list, with a bunch of installed stuff
11 depending on a masked version of ruby, and a package that needs to be
12 manually uninstalled, and new REQUIRED_USE conflicts, and subslot
13 rebuilds of things that are now masked, and...
14
15 And yet portage still knows that timezone-data is going to get updated.
16 If I can look through the list and "emerge -1 timezone-data" and have
17 that work, then portage should be able to figure that out, too. No
18 matter how long it takes, it can't be slower than me doing it by hand.