From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA mixer as a capture device with Intel HDA cards
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:42:22
1 On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 01:59:50 +0200
2 nunojsilva@×××××××.pt (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > Today, I got a bit curious, and wanted to get some sound from a
7 > computer which does not have any speakers at the moment. Mostly for
8 > fun, I thought about using arecord and then listening to the file.
9 >
10 > I decided to have a look around the mixer, with no luck. I remember
11 > alsamixer showing an option to use the PCM mixer as a capture device,
12 > but this was with other, older cards (possibly an ESS Maestro or a
13 > Creative Enqsonic). Now, for this "Intel HDA" card, I don't see an
14 > option to select the card's own output as the input stream.
15 >
16 > From what I see, I'd simply assume this means the new card does not
17 > have support for this in the hardware mixer, but I wonder whether I'm
18 > missing something obvious. The card is listed, in lspci, as
19 >
20 > Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High
21 > Definition Audio (rev a1)
22 >
23 > And alsamixer lists it as
24 >
25 > Card: HDA NVidia
26 > Chip: Realtek ALC887
27 >
28 > Any hints?
29
30 I have exactly same question/problem, but with Realtek ALC275, not
31 on an nVidia card. As far as I can tell, I only have one capture option
32 in alsamixer, and toggling it on only captures sound picked up by the
33 microphone.
34
35 Here's my output of amixer: <http://remarqs.net/misc/amixer.txt>
36
37 And a screenshot of alsamixer's capture settings:
38 <http://remarqs.net/misc/alsamixer-capture.png>