From: Dennis Tants <dennis.tants@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] GRUB2 new layout?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 10:21:00
1 Hey guys,
2 till now I was just a silent reader of some topics, but now I could need
3 your help.
4 I recently did a 'emerge -avuDN --with-bdeps/=y --complete=graph world'
5 (hope the term with --with-bdeps is correct, writing from memory). I saw
6 that I got new gentoo-sources.
7 I was runnig with 4.0.5, the latest is of course 4.1.15-r1. So I decided
8 to upgrade my kernel. I started with eselect kernel set 4.1.15-r1 (the
9 number for it). Then 'cd /usr/src/linux/ && make menuconfig'. I sorted
10 out a few filesystems I didn't need, but thats all.
11 After I saved the .config file, I did 'make && make modules_install &&
12 make install' like it is written in the handbook.
13 Last but not least I wanted to create a new GRUB entry with
14 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg'. I thought I did all steps but
15 after a reboot, I ran into a kernel panic (Not syncing rootfs, IIRC).
16 Following a tutorial to be able to boot again, I had a look at my grub.cfg.
17 All those grub.cfg's I saw on the wiki had a short and relativeley easy
18 to understand syntax. But my grub.cfg is full of things I probably won't
19 need.
20 I thought it could have been my fault, because i removed some fs while
21 building the kernel, so i tried it again, but this time with genkernel.
22 But the same thing happened again.
23 I now wrote a grub.cfg by my self with all the information I needed.
24 In this wiki article is an example of a grub.cfg file, which I used as a
25 reference.
26 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel
27 After rebooting again, I noticed, that my grub entries did not change.
28
29 Is there anything I did wrong or should try??
30 Also, why is there such a complicated 'new' grub layout? Haven't done
31 much with until now.
32 Thanks for your precious time :)
33
34 Greetings
37 Dennis Tants
38 Auszubildender: Fachinformatiker für Systemintegration
39
40 ZARM - Zentrum für angewandte Raumfahrttechnologie und Mikrogravitation
41 ZARM - Center of Applied Space Technology and Microgravity
42
43 Universität Bremen
44 Am Fallturm
45 28359 Bremen, Germany