From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommendation for CPU type in QEMU?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:12:19
1 On 31/07/2013 12:31, Marc Joliet wrote:
2
3 [snip]
6 > There's also "-cpu host", which simply passes your CPU through to the guest.
7 > That's what I use for my 32 bit WinXP VM. You can use it if you don't mind not
8 > being able to migrate your guest, but it sounds to me like you're doing this on
9 > a desktop machine, so I suspect guest migration doesn't matter to you.
12 I thought the same until very recently but it's not the case. The -cpu
13 host feature exposes all feature bits supported by qemu. Those may
14 include features that aren't supported in hardware by the host CPU, in
15 which case qemu has to resort to (slow) emulation if they are used.
16
17 --Kerin