From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Howzat!
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:07:39
1 On Monday 18 April 2011 16:48:08 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday 18 April 2011 15:51:32 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 > > In the setup Neil proposes, every client mounts an NFS share from your
4 > > server and uses that as its DISTDIR (where it stores the downloaded
5 > > files). For downloading files, the clients access the normal public
6 > > Gentoo mirrors but because all clients share the same directory, files
7 > > that some client has already downloaded are also available for every
8 > > other client. Therefore they will not be downloaded twice.
9 > >
10 > > The only possible problem with this approach is that two clients might
11 > > attempt to download the same file at the same time. Just make sure to
12 > > start your updates at different times to avoid this.
13 >
14 > Yes, that's how I understood it, but I was looking ahead to a time when the
15 > server might not be running Gentoo, in which case I wanted a mechanism to
16 > obtain the distfiles to put on the server.
17
18 Never mind. The penny's finally dropped. Thanks to both.
21 Rgds
22 Peter