From: Stefan Schmiedl <s@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge times blown out
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 18:18:31
1 Samstag, 18. Februar 2023 19:05:
5 >On 2023-02-18, Stefan Schmiedl <s@×××.de> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>Samstag, 18. Februar 2023 01:49:
8 >>>
9 >>>I have three systems (all ~arch) and the emerge times have blown out on all of them across all packages.
10 >>
11 >>When I had something like this about two years ago, the culprit was me
12 >>setting the cpufreq thingie in the kernel config to powersave or whatever
13 >>it's called ... running emerge with 800 MHz instead of 3.2 GHz produced
14 >>effects similar to yours.
17 >The same thing happened to me recently. Somehow, I broke the load/temp
18 >based CPU clock scaling on one of my machines, and it suddenly took 4X
19 >as long to build things as my other machines. It was running at the
20 >lowest clock speed possible all the time. Unfortunately, I don't
21 >remember exactly what I did to fix it...
24 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE
25 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE
26 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE
27 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND
28 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE
29 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_SCHEDUTIL
30
31 Back when I finally found it, all of these were set to "n" but for POWERSAVE which was set to "y".
32 I rebuilt the kernel to use ONDEMAND and things were back to normal.
33
34 s.