From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System date/time goes to GMT when PC wakes from hibernate
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 22:14:47
1 On Monday, April 06, 2015 5:03:11 PM Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I have a bunch of spreadsheets, browser tabs, etc, open all the time,
3 > scattered over various work areas. Rather than re-open them every day,
4 > I simply hibernate, using suspend-to-disk. This way, things are where I
5 > left them.
6 >
7 > The past couple of months, when the machine comes up from hibernation,
8 > the clock is a few hours ahead. Now it's 4 hours ahead. It was 5 hours
9 > ahead before the switch to daylight savings time. This looks
10 > suspiciously like GMT. GMT is 5 hours ahead of EST, and 4 hours ahead
11 > of EDT.
12 >
13 > I dug deeper. Apparently, it's just the "kernel system time" that
14 > gets bumped forward when it wakes up from hibernation. The BIOS clock
15 > is OK. As a heavy-handed hack, I've inserted the line...
16 >
17 > OnResume 01 hwclock --hctosys
18 >
19 > ...into my /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf. This copies over the BIOS
20 > time to the kernel system date. It works, but I'd really like to know
21 > why it's necessary in the first place.
24 There's an option CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS on the kernel to do it automatically. I
25 think it uses utc so if you use localtime it may mess it up. This also came up
26 recently on this list but I can't remember what the problem was so you may
27 want to look there.
30 Fernando Rodriguez