From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: firefox-bin optimizations?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 04:57:01
1 On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 11:27:54PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
2
3 > Looks like I can tweak stuff in the ebuild via "mozconfig_annotate"
4 > lines, and then...
5 >
6 > ebuild firefox-3.6.9.ebuild manifest
7 > emerge firefox
8
9 Something isn't working. I put in
10 mozconfig_annotate '' --disable-pango
11 mozconfig_annotate '' --disable-oji --disable-mathml
12
13 into the ebuild (a copy in my local overlay) and ebuild-manifested it.
14 Portage said it was building from the overlay, but "about:buildconfig"
15 shows them as being enabled. I have been able to
16 --disable-necko-wifi (WTF is *THAT* in a browser, fercryingoutloud?).
17
18 Any ideas? A long time ago, in a place far away, I used to build
19 Mozilla 0.9x "the hard way", because the downloadable binary was
20 painfully slow on my machine. And later on Phoenix 0.9x (remember
21 that?). I've forgotten most of what I learned, but I can follow the
22 instructions at https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Simple_Firefox_build
23 I have a couple of questions before proceeding...
24 1) what do I have to set to force all files to be installed in /opt or
25 in /usr/local ?
26 2) I've got 8 gigs of ram. How do I force the compiler to use /dev/shm
27 as the scratch directory ?
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>