From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 20:56:36
1 Fernando Meira wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > this is probably an old discussion, sorry for bring it up again.
5 >
6 > When I joined Gentoo (a few months ago) I got the idea that I could
7 > control very well the space that gentoo would require. That would be
8 > great because of my 4.6G available to it. Then, not so long time ago I
9 > got very surprised with how much less space available I had when I
10 > didn't have (almost) anything installed. Now it's completely full and
11 > I'm the middle of an emerge :(
12 >
13 > Well, tears apart, I would like to know if there's a good way to
14 > control the space usage of portage, since it is the reason for my
15 > problem.
16 > My /usr/portage and /var/tmp/portage/ take 2.2G which is almost half
17 > of the partition.
18 >
19 > What I have installed:
20 > - some (split) ebuilds of kde 3.4.1
21 > - e16
22 > - e17
23 > - firefox
24 > - gimp
25 > - acrobat reader 7
26 > - xmms, amsn (and maybe a few more small packages)
27 >
28 > What I've found until now:
29 > - clear /usr/portage/distfiles and /var/tmp/portage after an emerge,
30 > or regularly (using tmpreaper)
31 > - there are some users-made scripts (still buggy) that look for old
32 > ebuilds in portage tree and erases them
33 > (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-3011-highlight-portage+space+usage.html
34 > <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-3011-highlight-portage+space+usage.html>)
35 >
36 > Any comments/ideas/scripts about this, or everyone has plenty space to
37 > spare...
38 >
39 > Cheers,
40 > Fernando
41
42 Hi,
43 Just checking the size of '/usr/portage' and it's quite 3 GB using
44 reiserfs from which 1,4 GB is in 'distfiles' (source code) and 1,2 GB
45 in 'packages' (binary packages in my case) so just portage is around 400
46 MB here.
47 My '/var/tmp/portage' directory is (~430 MB) together with portage logs
48 which are the most of it (PORT_LOGDIR=).
49 You could erase all of '/var/tmp/portage' and '/usr/portage/distfiles'
50 (you'll have to download the sources again though).
51 Also check if using "keepwork" in your /etc/make.conf file if 'yes'
52 remove it (specially in case not having disk space, same for
53 "buildpkg"). For cleaning 'distfiles' i use "distclean.py" script. Try
54 out "emerge depclean -pv" but watch out before removing the "p" afterwards.
55 HTH. Rumen

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature