From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] festival usage (possibly OT)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:22:41
1 On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:23:55AM -0500, Penguin Lover William Hubbs squawked:
2 > In accessibility, as far as I am aware, espeak has become the most used
3 > software speech synthesizer. So, if there are not any objections, I am
4 > considering removing festival from the main gentoo portage tree.
5 >
6 > So, what I'm trying to figure out is how popular festival is and what it
7 > is being used for. If you use festival, can you reply to this thread
8 > and give me an idea of how important this package is to you and how
9 > often you use it, etc?
12 I use festival more from a hobbyist point of view rather than
13 accessibility necessity. I played around with voice interaction a
14 while back and back then festival was pretty much the only good
15 option.
16
17 Considering that most of what I did was hacked-together perl and shell
18 scripts, looking at espeak.sf.net I see that using espeak as a drop-in
19 replacement won't be too difficult.
20
21 Thanks for keeping us (the users) in touch. As to your question: as
22 long as festival is not the only software that supports the
23 text-to-speach function (and it is not, as you pointed out), I won't
24 complain if you see it as dead upstream and trim it from the tree.
25
26 W
27 --
28 Physics: a liberal arts on steroids.
29 ~Prof. Peter Meyers.
30 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 947 days, 22:06