From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] help on partitioning
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:08:51
1 On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 14:54 +0200, Fernando Meira wrote:
2 > Hi, I need a quick help for a simple question.
3 >
4 > My disk now looks like this:
5 > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
6 > /dev/hda1 11G 9.2G 1.4G 88% /
7 > udev 264M 242k 264M 1% /dev
8 > /dev/hda4 4.9G 4.6G 329M 94% /home
9 > /dev/hda5 25G 21G 3.9G 85% /mnt/share
10 > none 264M 0 264M 0% /dev/shm
11
12 Please post the output of 'fdisk -l' run as root. Without this info it's
13 not really possible to give you a full answer, but I'll still try.
14
15 > where hda5 is an extended part located after hda1 and before swap. At
16 > the ends is hda4.
17
18 Hmmmm, you want ot re-order those partitions so their number follows the
19 location on-disk.
20
21 > All parts are reiserfs unless hda5 which is FAT and I want to get rid of it.
22 >
23 > So what I want to do is to increase the size of hda1 and move some
24 > things around.
25 > I plan to remove the extended partition, thereby creating space right
26 > after hda1 so that this one can be increased. Then I intend to create
27 > a new swap part of 1Gb right after the new hda1 and use the remaining
28 > space for /home.
29
30 No no no no no you do not want to do this.
31
32 Without an extended partition you will limit yourself to 4 partitions
33 total and it is a nightmare to get it back to having an extended
34 partition. Leave it as is, it does no harm and as far as you the user
35 are concerned you end up with up to 16 (maybe 64) partitions max.
36
37 > So my question is, can I do all this using QTParted? And in a normal
38 > session, without unmouting any partitions, or do I need to boot from a
39 > install-cd?
40
41 You do this on the command line with tools like fdisk. QTParted may or
42 may not be able to do it, I always had uncertain results and have
43 learned to not trust such gui tools.
44
45 alan
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list