From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: htop wants cgroups
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 15:01:46
1 On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Am Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:33:05 -0700
4 >> schrieb Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>:
5 >>
6 >>> It makes sense that the kernel has it. Should it be enabled? For a
7 >>> server, probably. For a single-user workstation? Maybe.
11 > Honestly, I can't think of why you wouldn't want to use it.
12 >
13 > The use cases of killing orphan processes and managing resources at a
14 > service level have already been mentioned.
15
16 I don't usually have orphan processes (that process 1 doesn't reap).
17 My services don't require fine tuning re resources.
20 > Another use case is that the kernel automatically takes cgroups into
21 > account when scheduling. So, if one of your services launches a bunch
22 > of children they'll be weighted together when allocating CPU. That
23 > means that a service with ten threads won't get 10x the CPU of a
24 > service with one thread if CPU becomes limiting, assuming equal
25 > niceness/etc. On a multi-user system the same would apply to the user
26 > running 100 processes vs 1.
27 >
28 > I also use cgroups to monitor memory use/etc at a service level.
29
30 I don't have complex services (some might argue that very complex
31 services are badly designed services, but I leave that discussion to
32 pros). I only run single-user workstations.
35 > Sure, they're somewhat optional, but they're a pretty useful kernel feature.
36
37 No arguing there. Still, it shouldn't be pushed. It's a bad sign.
38
39 Jorge