From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tracing use flags - how to?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:23:16
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 09:18 on Thursday 28 October 2010, Helmut
2 Jarausch did opine thusly:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > this might well we a FAQ but I couldn't find it.
7 >
8 > In the process of upgrading to xorg-server-1.8.2 I'd like to remove
9 > the 'hal' use flag.
10 > I have removed it in /etc/make.conf and added 'udev' instead.
11
12 That will remove it globally from the entire system, which might not be what
13 you want. IIRC k3b needs hal for instance to work correctly.
14
15 > The xorg-server definitely doesn't have this use flag set in
16 > /etc/portage/package.use
17 >
18 > Still, emerge -vp x11-base/xorg-server shows that it is going to use
19 > the 'hal' but not the 'udev' flag.
20 >
21 > How to find out where this comes from.
22
23 I usually read the ebuilds and grep directly through files to find this kind
24 of stuff :-) I find it easier than remembering commands.
25
26 The xorg-server ebuild says:
27 IUSE_SERVERS="dmx kdrive xorg"
28 IUSE="${IUSE_SERVERS} doc hal ipv6 minimal nptl tslib +udev"
29
30 So it uses all those flags, and "udev" is on by default unless you explicitly
31 say otherwise somewhere.
34 > I haven't found anything in 'use.mask' in my profile
35 > default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
36
37 Post the USE section from emerge --info, the output from
38 emerge -vp x11-base/xorg-server.
39 the output from
40 grep -r udev /etc/portage/*
41 grep -r hal /etc/portage/*
42
43 and let's take it from there.
44
45 Finding stuff in profiles is tricky, you have to search upwards through the
46 directories, not downwards.
52 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com