From: ny6p01@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub vs grub 2
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:11:50
1 On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 08:29:26PM +0100, Andrea Conti wrote:
2 > > PS: If you know how to get rid of any background image, could you
3 > > say how?
4 >
5 > Remove or comment out any "splashimage" directives from the config file.
6 >
7 > ***
8 >
9 > Re grub2: as long as grub0 works, I really don't care if grub2 is
10 > better, cleaner, shinier, more modern or anything else.
11 >
12 > I don't need a freakin' whole OS to boot linux, and having a
13 > configuration that is so convoluted that it *has to* be generated by
14 > running a set of scripts makes no sense at all. I thought the days of m4
15 > and sendmail.cf were over a long time ago...
16 >
17 > I am sure grub2 can be made to work, but for a piece of software as
18 > vital as a boot loader, that level of complexity in my opinion is
19 > totally unreasonable and impossible to justify.
20 >
21 > andrea
24 You have a point. I'm sure grub or something like it, will be developed as
25 an alternative to grub2, just as various alternative DM's are. As for me, I
26 don't really care, just as long as I can boot the damn kernel by typing a
27 few commands at a grub prompt, I'm happy. ;)
28
29 Terry