From: Denis <denis.che@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFS: Cannot open root device - kernel panic
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 04:58:52
1 > I have ran into things like this before, I usually run make mrproper
2 > from within the kernel directory to make sure there is no old cruft
3 > laying around in there.
4
5 In my case, it was a fresh install, which made it quite a bit more
6 painful to fix because I had to go through the procedures twice and
7 did not have a working kernel to fall back on. It's the scenario I've
8 always dreaded, and then one day it actually happens. When I re-did
9 the install, I erased the partition table and started anew, so there
10 was no old cruft to begin with.
11
12 I'm not sure if this contributed to anything, but I enabled all the
13 relevant RAID support the second time around. Since I only have one
14 SATA drive, I simply turned off RAID support initially in the kernel,
15 but it's possible that this particular combination of hardware was
16 expecting a RAID driver...
17
18 I'm so clueless sometimes trying to figure out some of these kernel
19 options... haha. The really technical ones where it's like a foreign
20 language. I love the "if unsure, say N here." or "if you don't know
21 what this is, you probably don't need it - say N here." ;-)
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list