From: Daniel Quinn <expendable.0@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CPU "choking" under high load
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:42:28
1 I don't know if this is a hardware issue or not, but I thought that maybe I'd
2 configured my kernel incorrectly and that this might be a known issue someone
3 here has run across in the past so here goes:
4
5 My computer is a pretty impressive AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ box
6 with 2GB of RAM and for the most part, I just use it to write code at work.
7 However, whenever I'm doing something CPU-intensive, two things happen:
8
9 * The load on the box goes up to 4
10 * The box intermittently wobbles from running at full-speed and dropping to
11 a crawl. This is best seen while watching Flash videos online,
12 compressing/encoding video, or compiling. Everything is fine for a few
13 minutes, then suddenly the rate of compiling/compression/playback etc.
14 drops to a crawl for about 1-3minutes, then back up to full speed.
15
16 I don't know why it's happening. I've tried various kernel options with no
17 change in behaviour. Outside of that though, I don't know what to try.
18 Suggestions welcome :-(