From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for profile switch -- major problem
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:58:49
1 Am Sonntag, 10. Dezember 2017, 13:36:19 CET schrieb Kent Fredric:
2 > as a sort
3 > of bodge to compensate for the fact portage has no working "provides"
4 > feature
5
6 I'd just like to point out that, to the best of my knowledge, portage actually
7 switched *from* a "provides" model *to* the virtual system we use today.
8 (This was more than a decade ago, before I started using Gentoo. I remember
9 this because I vaguely recall seeing repoman and/or portage warnings about
10 deprecated use of PROVIDES or some such in overlay ebuilds.)
11
12 --
13 Marc Joliet
14 --
15 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
16 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup