From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it possible to have perl-5 and perl-6 installed and in use concurrently?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 03:09:35
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 19:28 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> William Kenworthy wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Is it possible to have perl-5 and perl-6 installed and in use
7 >>> concurrently?
8 >>>
9 >>> This has come up because I am trying to upgrade mythtv using overlays
10 >>> because gentoos mythtv builds are getting rather ancient - the drscream
11 >>> (layman) overlay is requiring a perl 6 module, but the manual github
12 >>> overlay which doesnt is January so is getting out of date anyway.
13 >>>
14 >>> or can someone point me to a recent overlay thats regularly updated and
15 >>> works(!) Currently want to go from mythtv .23-gentoo to .24-fixes and
16 >>> then .25 as its soon to be stable.
17 >>>
18 >>> BillK
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >> I had a look at the ebuild, it doesn't appear to be slotted. So, it is
23 >> most likely not possible to have both at the same time. The relavant
24 >> portion:
25 >>
26 >> LICENSE="|| ( Artistic GPL-1 GPL-2 GPL-3 )"
27 >> SLOT="0"
28 >> KEYWORDS="~alpha ~amd64 ~arm ~hppa ~ia64 ~m68k ~mips ~ppc ~ppc64 ~s390
29 >> ~sh ~sparc ~x86 ~x86-fbsd"
30 >>
31 >> All the ebuilds I looked at had the SLOT="0" which means no slots.
32 >>
33 >> If I am wrong, someone post and correct me.
34 >>
35 >> Dale
36 >>
37 >> :-) :-)
40 > Its actually not "slotting" I am after - slots are a choice of setting
41 > the system to one or the other (correct me if I am wrong) whereas I want
42 > to use perl-5 for eveyting except this which wants perl-6.
43 >
44 > One item is that the ebuild for perl5 is "dev-perl/libwww-perl" whereas
45 > for perl 6 its "dev-perl/libwww-perl-6" which indicates co-existence
46 > might be possible - but I dont want to break a system to prove it
47 > doesnt :)
48 >
49 > BillK
53 In order to have two versions of the same package on a system at the
54 same time, the system has to be able to figure out which is which. That
55 is what Gentoo calls slots. Here, I have python 2 and 3 installed. I
56 have the system set to python 2, with eselect, but some packages CAN use
57 python 3 if it so chooses. Maybe this link explains it better:
58
59 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap5
60
61 Hope that helps.