From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:11:24
Hi, Neil.

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:56:36PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:01:32 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > > Read my other mail and pay attention to the difference between > > > transient and persistent.
> > In my proposed solution, the executables in /sbin would only exist until > > /usr had been mounted and the runtime PATH set up. After the > > unification of /usr, /sbin won't even exist (apart from in schemes like > > mine).
> What happens to files that are installed to /bin, /sbin or /lib by > default?
Aren't they getting shoved into /usr? I thought that was the whole point of the excercise.
> Where do kernel modules go?
I hadn't actually thought of that - I've never built a kernel with modules enabled. Where do kernel modules go? Won't they be going into /usr somewhere? Incidentally, dracut says it won't work on a kernel without modules. I don't know if it's true or not.
> > I look forward with foreboding to the time when such recovery will not > > be possible. Only a legacy Gentoo system or a recovery CD will help > > then. I think it highly probable that "can't boot" bugs will continue > > to happen occasionally. I'd like to carry on having a bootable > > skeleton system for when this happens.
> When an initramfs fails to boot, it drops you to a busybox shell, ...
You know, that cheers me up a lot.
> ...although I also have a SystemRescueCD ISO in /boot for such > situations.
I suppose I could do with that, too. And I should learn how to use it.
> -- > Neil Bothwick
> Top Oxymorons Number 12: Plastic glasses
I wear spectacular glasses. -- Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).