From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-user] printer recommendation
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 00:39:04
1 I need to replace one of my Brother printers and am looking for a
2 replacement. I have had luck in recent years with Brother printers:
3 - HL-5250DN (needs to be replaced)
4 - HL-5370 - working OK
5
6 I only need a B/W printer with an Ethernet interface. Toner usage is
7 important. Average pages per day will range from 20-50.
8
9 Brother recently improved with their Linux drivers; installing one under
10 Gentoo from RPM (with minor adjustments) was ok.
11
12 Looking at Brother web-page, they have:
13 - HL-L5200DW - 8000 pages per $177.49 toner seems OK
14 It has "Advanced security features to help protect sensitive documents"
15 I don't know what that is, have to ask Brother.
16 However, http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/Brother
17 does not mention this model, so I have no reference as to how well it
18 works with Linux.
19
20 HL-L2360DW - Seems OK but it only makes 2,600-pages per $100/toner;
21 this is NOT OK.
22
23 I used to have HP but I don't like their toners with chip technology, so
24 NO HP, unless they have changed.
25
26 Any other recommendations?
29 Thelma