From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gigabyte and controlling fans
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:20:24
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 18:15:21 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >>> You're assuming the problem was with HAL rather the the drivers of the
6 >>> hardware it was trying to work with...
7 >>>
8 >
9 >> So the PS/2 drivers have been working for years and all of a sudden hal
10 >> comes along and breaks them? Then on top of that, removing hal AND
11 >> using the same kernel results in the PS/2 ports working again. Logic
12 >> tells me it was hal, not the kernel.
13 >>
14 > Me too, but you can't know for definite, so you can't really say that
15 > your system has been problem free using everything built in, after all,
16 > very few people experienced your HAL issues. You seem to have had almost
17 > as much trouble with it as Dave Bowman.
22 In theory, maybe. Thing is, I booted the exact same kernel with all
23 that mess. So, the kernel was not the issue. If the kernel had got
24 corrupt or something, it wouldn't have worked when I removed hal
25 either. That much I am sure of. I used that same kernel for a good
26 while afterwards. I don't update the kernel to often.
27
28 I could also say that having modules isn't always going to help either.
29 I'm sure some poor soul has had to reboot even tho it was a bad module.
30
31 Dale
32