From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sys-boot/grub USE="static"
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:47:26
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Pandu Poluan<pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3 >> I'm just wondering, what are the benefits& drawbacks of turning on
4 >> "static" USE flag for sys-boot/grub?
5 > I seem to remember it has something to do with whether you're using
6 > 32bit vs 64bit, but I can't be certain.
10 I sort of recall someone telling me to use grub-static when I did my
11 install on my new amd64 rig. I have the regular version on my x86 rig.
12 I think you are correct Paul.
13
14 I also checked the website, I couldn't find anything on the static
15 reasoning either. Since legacy grub is sort of dying anyway, I'm not
16 surprised.
17
18 In closing, use plain grub for x86 and grub-static for 64 bit. I know
19 that works.
20
21 Dale
22
26 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!