From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switch to profile 17.0 complete, completely painless
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 01:36:31
1 Am Mittwoch, 6. Dezember 2017, 08:00:40 CET schrieb Raffaele Belardi:
2 > One (~x86) LXDE system completed the switch with no problem, the other
3 > (~amd64) built all except two packaged (sdlmame and torcs) which did not
4 > build with gcc-7.2 even before the switch to 17.0.
5 >
6 > Gentoo devs and arch testers did a good job as usual.
7 >
8 > I'll do the switch on the Gnome system in the next days but up to now I can
9 > say that the switch to 17.0 is a _lot_ less painful than switching major
10 > compiler version.
11 >
12 > raffaele
13
14 I'll add my support for this, the migration was almost completely painless on
15 all three of my systems. There were only a few exceptions:
16
17 - I hit the aforementioned cdrdao failure (which I opted to solve via USE
18 flag).
19
20 - On my laptop I hit the ICU incompatibility with qtwebengine because I had
21 firefox install with USE="system-icu" (which was masked at some point in the
22 13.0 profiles, which is why I didn't hit this until now), so I unset the USE
23 flag again, but that caused some post-migration emerging, which was annoying,
24 but not horrible.
25
26 - On my desktop rust failed for some reason (almost at the end, of course,
27 when building rustdoc), but simply emerging it again afterwards worked.
28
29 - On my desktop I also hit the mupen64plus-ui-console build failure.
30
31 Note that all of these have open bugs (except for the rust one, but I expect
32 that simply came from an inconsistency due to the unfinished "emerge -e
33 @world", or a random bitflip, or something similarly ephemeral).
34
35 (Oh, and libsidplay failed because its maintainer is apparently too busy to
36 fix its incompatibility with app-shells/dash, but that had nothing to do with
37 the migration per se.)
38
39 I'll also add -- not because I was worried about it but because the
40 possibility was mentioned in another thread -- that I can't say I'm noticing
41 any performance hits, even on my 11 year old Athlon64 X2. (IIUC, per the GCC
42 manual, PIC and PIE only affect startup time, not runtime, so this result
43 should be expected.)
46 Marc Joliet
47 --
48 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
49 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup