From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: media-gfx/blender-2.71 dependencies
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:49:45
1 On 09/07/2014 22:48, James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> On 09/07/2014 18:44, James wrote:
6 >>> Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> Please don't use pastebin sites - if your output is too long to copy and
10 >>> paste into the body of the message,
11 >>>> then please attach it as a plain text file. If you name it output.txt then
12 >>> most people, with GUI mail
13 >>>> clients, will be able to read it just by double-clicking.
14 >>>
15 >>>> Most pastebin services expire old pastes periodically (not to mention that
16 >>> pastebin services are hardly
17 >>>> profitable, and close down all the time) whereas these mailing list
18 >>> messages are archived in multiple
19 >>>> places and are referenced for years.
20 >>>
21 >>>> If you attach these files as plain text then they'll be archived, useful
22 >>> to other people with the same
23 >>>> problem in the future.
24 >>>
25 >>> I'll agree, this is excellent advise. However, I use game.org to read
26 >>> and post to gentoo-user. So how do you attached a txt file to
27 >>> those postings via gmane? Options to get the txt file attachemnent into the
28 >>> proper record?
29 >>
30 >> gentoo-user is a mailing list. It receives mail to the list address and
31 >> forwards them on to all subscribers. It's all done by mail.
32 >>
33 >> Now someone has built an email<->web_thingy gateway. It is deficient by
34 >> design and as you point out doesn't do big posts AT ALL.
35 >>
36 >> That's too bad, but you chose that option and now you must deal with
37 >> it's deficiencies and shortcomings.
38 >>
39 >> Sorry for the tone but that really is how it is.
40 >
41 > What tone? You call that "tone" ? You're slipping..... been to
42 > too many 'team' meetings lately?
43 >
44 > Agreeded; just pointing it out. I find gmane too useful so
45 > I tend to prune and post succinctly. Rarely do I need to put
46 > up a big long post. But I do read and snip before posting;
47 > so my approach is a valid as any..... focus, snip and post goes
48 > a long way, but it does require some reading and editing skills,
49 > just to set the record straight. Noobs can follow who they like,
50 > as they like, when they like....
51 >
52 > When needed I just use an nntp font end...... (oh, had my own
53 > solution already?) tricky; precious; tricky........
54 >
55 > You're slipping, you old_fart ?
56
57 Not so much slipping, more like new job, new employer.
58
59 It used to go like this:
60
61 Q: Alan, can I ... <insert something stupid here>?
62 A: No. Because I said so. Now piss off.
63
64 I don't have quite the same street credd here yet, so now it's more like:
65
66 Q: Alan, can I ... <insert something stupid here>?
67 A: I don't recommend that because ... <insert some politely worded
68 well-thought out rationale here>
75 > James
87 Alan McKinnon
88 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com