From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LLVM and friends is not compatible.
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 22:16:57
1 On 06/12/2021 19:26, Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 > Genkernel is pretty... special... It's handy if your system is set up the way it expects. If not, well, then its utility drops off quickly.
3 >
4 > From what you're describing, my suggestion would be to simply only use it for initramfs generation and do the kernel make yourself. That shouldn't "stomp all over" anything except maybe a previous initramfs for the same kernel.
5
6 :-)
7
8 That's exactly what I was doing !!!
9
10 I roll my own kernel, make install quite happily shoves it in whatever
11 /boot it finds.
12
13 If I tell genkernel to create an initramfs, provided I let it stomp all
14 over the LIVE /boot, it works fine. As soon as I try and stop it, by
15 saying "don't automount /boot", or "don't actually install the
16 initramfs", all hell breaks loose.
17
18 In the past, genkernel's always worked fine for me. That's why I use it
19 - dracut looks a lot more complicated ... but when genkernel throws a
20 hissy fit and craps all over my system because I won't let it do what IT
21 thinks is best, then it makes you want to dump the lot.
22
23 What else in gentoo has the same craptastic logic? --keep-going is the
24 same - it doesn't do what it says ...
25
26 Oh well, if SourceMage works for me, then I'll probably dual-boot for a
27 while and we'll see what happens ...
28
29 Cheers,
30 Wol