From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linode discontinuing Xen, migrating to KVM
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 03:52:30
1 Hello friends!
2
3 On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > On 10/2/2017, 2:39:51 PM, Stroller <Stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 2 Oct 2017, at 18:30, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> One thing I do seem to recall is there was somewhere that I had to
9 >>> define Xen as the virtualization environment being used, but I can't
10 >>> remember where I did that. Was that in the kernel config? If so, their
11 >>> tool should (hopefully) handle that change.
12 >>
13 >> See last lines:
14 >>
15 >> ~ $ grep -B 25 -ie xen -ie kvm /etc/rc.conf
16 > <snip>
17 >> # "xen0" - Xen0 Domain (Linux and NetBSD)
18 >> # "xenU" - XenU Domain (Linux and NetBSD)
19 >> ~ $
20 >>
21 >> This on a Linode host, BTW. They haven't told me I need to do anything, so I hope I'm ok.
22 >>
23 >> HTH,
24 >
25 > Thanks! Yes, at least now I know where that was specified... and since
26 > there is nothing there for kvm, I guess you just leave it commented, BUT...
27 >
28 > yours doesn't appear to be set?? Mine is set to "xenU".
31 Due to the nature of how both Xen and QEMU/KVM work, there is no need
32 to set any kernel configuration that tells the kernel it is running on
33 virtual hardware. However, if you do so, you will see performance
34 gains.
35
36 Some of these performance gains are visible outside of the virtualized
37 system so hosting providers would be within their rights to require
38 specific configuration, but I expect they would have made it obvious.
39
40 Refer to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/QEMU/Linux_guest, but these
41 settings require support from Linode.
42
43 > So... maybe I've never even needed this? Or maybe I did way back when I
44 > first installed this (probably 7 or 8 years ago), and it isn't needed
45 > any longer? Would the need for it be based on the kernel version? OR the
46 > underlying Xen Host version? Or something else?
47 >
48 > More importantly - I guess I should comment it out right before the
49 > migration? Or is this something I can do after? IF I don't, how would I
50 > handle it?
53 As long as your kernel has the appropriate drivers (i.e. you didn't
54 include only the virtualized Xen drivers and left most of the default
55 options intact) it should boot under QEMU/KVM or even on a bare metal
56 system.
57
58 Cheers,
59 R0b0t1