From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Funny comment made by kuroo.
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:34:29
1 On Tue, 15 May 2007 22:07:47 +0300
2 David Harel <hareldvd@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Greetings,
7 > Using kuroo, sometimes I get a notice such as: QA Notice: Package has
8 > poor programming practices which may compile fine but exhibit random
9 > runtime failures. Any idea what trigers such as message?
10 >
11 I found an answer at
12 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/portage/main/trunk/doc/qa.docbook?rev=5734
13 The relevant section, lightly edited (but unaltered), follows:
14
15 || This warning crops up when code starts casting distinct pointer types
16 || and then dereferencing them. Generally, this is a violation of
17 || aliasing rules which are part of the C standard. Historically, these
18 || warnings did not show up as the optimization was not turned on by
19 || default. With gcc-4.1.x and newer though, the -O2 optimization level
20 || enables strict aliasing support.
21 ||
22 || For information, please review these links:
23 || NetBSD Explination:
24 || http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2003/08/11/0001.html
25 || Gentoo Dev Thread:
26 || http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/39495
27 || GCC Docs:
28 || http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html#nonbugs_c
29
30 The programs will probably still work fine; I've seen that error
31 before, but have been using those packages anyway, with no descernable
32 consequences.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list