From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Profile switch to 17.1.
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 15:53:07
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 18 June 2019 16:12:32 BST Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I been working on the profile switch. I followed the directions in the
6 >> news item up until the rm part in #12. I did a equery b for a few files
7 >> in the two directories and it has files that equery shows belonging to
8 >> packages. They are not orphans since they are owned. Here is a list of
9 >> the files:
10 >>
11 >> root@fireball / # ls -al /lib32/
12 >> total 3956
13 > [snip ... x 3956 ]
14 >
15 >> root@fireball / # ls -al /usr/lib32/
16 >> total 257136
17 > [snip ... x 257136 ]
18 >
19 >> As one can see, some of those could be important. I noticed grub,
20 >> nvidia, dracut and others that could cause issues if they failed. Is it
21 >> really safe to just rm them or did I miss something? Do I need to do
22 >> something else not mentioned in the news item for this?
23 > Hmm ... having run 'unsymlink-lib --analyze/migrate/finish', switched profile
24 > to 17.1 and then rebuilt toolchain and 'emerge -1v /lib32 /usr/lib32', I did
25 > not have to manually remove those directories on 4 different systems so far (I
26 > think). That said I don't use an initramfs, but even if I did these are not
27 > boot time dependencies. If you feel shakey about it you can rebuild dracut
28 > before you need to use it again.
29 >
30 > You haven't missed a step by any chance?
34 I actually saved the news item to a text file.  As I was doing things, I
35 would highlight what I was doing.  At one point, I needed to logout and
36 back in so I noted where to pick up so that I didn't miss anything.
37 Even with doing that, it may be possible I missed something but I'd
38 think it unlikely.  I was expecting a few things to still be there but
39 not that many or things that important.  I did skip the parts about
40 switching from 13 profiles to 17.1 since I was on 17.0.  There was two
41 in #10.  I did rebuild gcc as listed tho.
42
43 I might add, I also ran revdep-rebuild and it came back clean as well.
44 I just wonder, if I remove those directories and then run
45 revdep-rebuild, will it fix anything that is broken?  I could just
46 rename them so that I still have them if needed.
47
48 Could this be because I still have a few things that are 32 bit?  I'm
49 running multilib here.
50
51 Thanks.
52