From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: .vimrc
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:41:56
1 Hello,
4 I'm not the swiftest (hack) around with finessing the (bash) shell
5 and customizations for c/c++ (command line) programming. What I'm
6 doing is trying to setup .vimrc so that when I edit a file
7 (*.c or *.cpp) my shell uses the entries in the (user's) .vimrc file.
8 However any other file I access via 'vi' I want it to ignore these
9 customizations or use a second config file for 'vim' customizations.
10 Ideas on how to accomplish this are welcome.
13 I've stumbled across ideas on how to make .vimrc really cool for writing
14 c/c++ programs. I have not found a comprehensive reference on all of the
15 possibilities and what works. A wiki would be very cool. I've been
16 testing a custom setup for .vimrc:
17
18 set ai " autoindent
19 set si " smartindent
20 set cindent " do c-style indenting
21 set tabstop=3 " tab spacing settings below are just to unify it
22 set softtabstop=3 " unify
23 set shiftwidth=3 " unify
24 set noexpandtab " real tabs please!
25 set nowrap " do not wrap lines
26 set smarttab " use tabs at the start of a line, spaces elsewhere
29 Additionally, I'm experimenting with QT4 so any suggestions
30 related to QT4 are also appreciated. Any comments, ideas or resources
31 I can look at, would be most appreciated.
34 James
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list