From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 19:59:12
1 On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 3:39 PM, German <gentgerman@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > No, I am trying to shutdown from a console
6 >
7 > Well, the old answer would be that you need to use sudo to run it, as
8 > shutting down is a privileged operation.
9 >
10 > I suspect that the new answer is that with appropriate
11 > policykit/consolekit/etc settings you can probably allow somebody
12 > sitting at a physical console to shut down the system, or any
13 > logged-in user if you prefer. However, I haven't actually set that up
14 > myself.
15
16 logind does that for you automagically™. The first seat has the rights to
17 poweroff or reboot the machine, and it can differentiate between local and
18 remote logins. You can check if your user session has the permissions to
19 poweroff/reboot via dbus:
20
21 $ gdbus call --system --dest org.freedesktop.login1 --object-path
22 /org/freedesktop/login1 --method org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.CanPowerOff
23 ('yes',)
24
25 $ gdbus call --system --dest org.freedesktop.login1 --object-path
26 /org/freedesktop/login1 --method org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.CanReboot
27 ('yes',)
28
29 But you need systemd to use logind1. There has been some attempts to
30 reimplement logind outside systemd, but I'm not sure how advanced they are.
31
32 This kind of problems were one of the reasons for creating logind.
33
34 Regards.
35 --
36 Canek Peláez Valdés
37 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias