From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xinerama vs TwinView for dual monitor setup
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:40:17
1 On 2008-10-13, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 >>
5 >> There's a third option you haven't mentioned: two different
6 >> displays rather than a large virtual display spread across two
7 >> monitors.
8 >
9 > [snip]
10 >
11 >> Pros:
12 >>
13 >> * Mouse movement and focus still act like one large display.
14 >>
15 >> * Each display can have it's own set of virtual desktops and
16 >> they can be switched indpendantly.
17 >
18 > Really? When I set up separate X screens, changing virtual desktops on
19 > one display (eg from "VD1" to "VD2") also changed it on the other display.
20
21 It probably depends on your window manager. I'm using XFCE,
22 and switching "workspaces" as they're called in XFCE is
23 independant for the two displays.
24
25 >> * Things like window-manager panels/docs/taskbars are managed
26 >> separately for the two displays.
27 >>
28 >> * Displays can have different resolutions, sizes, depths.
29 >
30 > So can xinerama / twinview :)
31
32 I thought I had read somewhere that they had to have the same
33 depth at least.
36 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm having fun
37 at HITCHHIKING to CINCINNATI
38 visi.com or FAR ROCKAWAY!!