From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New AMD hardware. [Was: Nvidia Drivers. =(]
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 20:23:47
1 On Monday 10 Apr 2017 19:07:49 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Daniel.
3 >
4 > On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 08:48:22 -0700, Daniel Frey wrote:
5 > > On 04/06/2017 10:03 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
6 > > > On 04/05/2017 05:15 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:
7 > > >> I'm still running on my old kernel as I re-build my system, Nvidia
8 > > >> drivers just barfed
9 > > >
10 > > > 381.09 was released today which supports kernel 4.10. But it might take
11 > > > a while until it's in portage.
12 > > >
13 > > > In general, I stick with LTS kernels ("Long Term Support.") Right now,
14 > > > that's 4.9. Doing that solved "doesn't build against kernel X" issues
15 > > > with binary packages like the nvidia drivers and vmware workstation. If
16 > > > you're using nvidia, I'd recommend using the latest LTS kernel. What's
17 > > >
18 > > > the latest LTS is listed here:
19 > > > https://www.kernel.org
20 > >
21 > > He [Alan Grimes] has new hardware (Ryzen) that needs 4.10 for proper
22 > > support.
23 > I too have new hardware (An Asus Prime X370-PRO MB with a Ryzen 1700X
24 > processor), indeed so new that my first attempt to boot a minimal CD was
25 > less than an hour ago.
26 >
27 > The attempt, one must admit, was wholly unsuccessful. I can boot into
28 > the minimal CD's opening overtures, at which I'm prompted to select a
29 > "kernel". If I choose memtest86, it loads and displays its initial
30 > screen, then promptly crashes the system, leading to an automatic
31 > reboot. gentoo-nofb boots, displays something about the number of cores
32 > present (It counts up to #16), displays some information about "PCI"
33 > (on, perhaps, 20 lines) and promptly crashes, blanking the screen and
34 > rebooting.
35 >
36 > My minimal CD is install-amd64-minimal-20170406.iso, so fairly recent,
37 > but built with kernel 4.9.16.
38 >
39 > Question: do I need a 4.10 kernel to be able to boot a Ryzen system at
40 > all? If 4.10 is necessary, is it sufficient?
41 >
42 > Just as importantly, are there any convenient instructions in a
43 > convenient place for building one's own minimal CD? I've just tried a
44 > quick search through the Gentoo wiki, but didn't see anything relevant.
45 >
46 > Is there anything else relevant anybody can tell me to help me get my
47 > new machine booted?
48 >
49 > Thanks in advance!
50 >
51 > > Dan
52
53 I can't recall when was the last time I used a Gentoo minimal CD to install a
54 system and I have not tried installing Gentoo on Ryzen (yet), but have you had
55 a go at using a systemrescuecd?
56
57 You'll need to use the alternative kernel from the boot options, which is at
58 present still a 4.9.18 version:
59
60 http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/Download/
61
62 Alternatively, you can unpack it, build the kernel of your choice and rebuild
63 it as explained here:
64
65 http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/Customization/
66
67 The same must be doable with Gentoo's minimal CD, but I have not searched the
68 interwebs for guidance ...
69
70 HTH.
71 --