From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Why I can't I build systemd without ipv6?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 17:29:45
1 I switched ISPs a couple months back and have been struggling with
2 networking issues (not LAN, just WAN.)
3
4 I have discovered that something is broken with my ISP's ipv6 support,
5 every time I go to a website there's a 10-second delay. When syncing
6 portage today I saw what the delay is: apparently it tries ipv6 twice,
7 fails, then resorts to ipv4 which works fine.
8
9 Most of my systems now have ipv6 support removed, and viola! no more
10 delays.
11
12 Except for the three systems I have that run systemd. I went in the
13 kernel config to disable ipv6, and it won't let me - looking at the
14 dependency list, it's systemd blocking this.
15
16 So *why* on earth is it a dependency when (from what I've been reading
17 after discovering this) many ISPs don't seem to support it properly yet?
18
19 And is there a way to build systemd without ipv6? Or am I going to have
20 to revert these three systems back to openrc?
21
22 Dan