From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: Gentoo Prefix Issue...
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:40:06
1 On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 15:22:45 +1000
3 > Nima Talebi <nima@××××××.au> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi All,
6 >>
7 >> Could someone point out what's the deal with the following:
8
9 [snip]
12 > I'm curious... how could you expect to update the system not as a root?
13 > You don't have root access, so you are done playing... right? Did I
14 > miss something?
15
16 He's using Gentoo Prefix. Think "user-mode Linux" or 'chroot without
17 root'. If you're familiar with "Portable Apps" packaging on Windows,
18 think of it kinda like "Portable Gentoo Linux". Imagine if, like WINE,
19 you could have your own Gentoo install as a subdirectory of your home
20 directory.
21
22 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/
25 :wq