From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Could not emerge "app-crypt/gnupg-1.4.2-r2" due to new kernel being emerged too
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:00:32
1 Neil Bothwick schreef:
2 > On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:49:04 +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >> Fortunately, I noticed that it was going to happen before the
6 >> emerge proceeded (I was getting a new kernel, and upgrading the
7 >> ati-drivers package, which I know must compile against a configured
8 >> kernel), so I just disabled the 'symlink' USE flag for the new,
9 >> about-to-be-downloaded kernel *only* (and learned that you can
10 >> manage specific versions of an app in /etc/portage/package.use),
13 > Couldn't you have achieved the same with less effort with
14 >
15 > USE="-symlink" emerge world -blah
16 >
17 > ?
18
19 Yes (qualified yes), but
20
21 1) I'm training myself out of changing USE flags on the command line
22 (though it would have been OK in this case, the reason I have a general
23 policy is to keep to it, not except it :-) )
24
25 2) I learned something (because I don't want to use USE= on the command
26 line, I "had to" use package.use, which I didn't know up to that moment
27 allowed specification of package versions. But I found that
28
29 =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.13-r5 -symlink
30
31 is actually valid, which is useful information, enabling me to turn the
32 USE flag off for just this one emerge, without disturbing later kernels
33 for which I want to keep the 'symlink' flag default enabled.
34
35 Since this situation is not terribly likely to occur again-- an upgrade
36 to the ati-drivers being offered in the same operation as a new kernel,
37 given that the ati-drivers don't update that terribly often, and on a
38 schedule, and since I often mask shiny-new kernels because the
39 ati-drivers are generally unlikely to compile against them lately--
40 knowing that a 'oneshot mask' is possible in package.use is handy).
41
42 So yes, it would have been easier to do it the way you say, but I find
43 taking unexpected opportunities to explore the capabilities of Portage
44 more valuable than doing things the easy way (sometimes).
45
46 Holly
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list