From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer-1.0_rc2_p28058-r1 & USE dvdnav
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:11:47
1 On 12/22/08, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > HAHA! Arttu, you also have a typo! ;)
3 >
4 > The file should be in
5 >
6 > /etc/portage/profile/package.use.mask
7 >
8 > Note that 'profile' is singular, not plural.
9
10 Sorry, must've been the fever and cold I've been having for the last
11 couple of days. But true, fever or no fever, always check my typing,
12 someone off the Intertubes might offer you some clever equivalent of
13 "rm -rf /"! :D
14
15 One thing to remember is that portage devs are probably ingenious and
16 lazy (in the positive sense), so they probably do things in a similar
17 way under /usr/portage and /etc/portage. This gives hints of the
18 correct paths and file names, maybe even the syntaxes (although in
19 this case the -dvdnav was a bit unexpected and illogical IMHO).
20
21 Of course, /usr/portage has those different sub-directories for, e.g.,
22 base and many different platforms, but you can keep /etc/portage
23 "flat". Or this is just my deduction after running Gentoo for 5-6
24 years, I haven't actually touched the python code much and probably
25 not pushed the configurations too far either.
26
27 I'm very happy if someone points out a "typo" in my logic here -- I'm
28 sure a little embarrassment early on will save plenty of my time in
29 the future! :D
32 Arttu V.