From: Andy Wilkinson <drukargin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gvfs, cameras, and me
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 15:40:16
1 On 12/20/2010 06:39 AM, walt wrote:
2 > On 12/19/2010 09:25 PM, Andy Wilkinson wrote:
3 >
4 >> To make matters worse, when gvfs/nautilus doesn't see the camera at all,
5 > > I have no idea at all how to find out what messages might have been
6 > sent
7 > > where, or why gvfs might not be seeing it...
8 >
9 > I use gnome, but have no camera so I can't give specific advise. But in
10 > general I try to get behind the gui by starting an app (like gphoto2)
11 > from
12 > a command prompt to see what error messages it may print.
13 >
14 > Some gui apps may have an optional flag like -v or --debug that will
15 > print
16 > more messages. (Or start it as "strace gphoto2" for even more fun.)
17 >
18 > I've never actually found a use for the various gvfs commandline apps,
19 > like
20 > gvfs-info et al, but you might be able to use them for debugging this
21 > puzzle.
22 > Worth fiddling with them, anyway.
23 >
24 > I've noticed several times that the gentoo-stable gnome is running
25 > mismatched
26 > versions of gnome apps, and if I just wait long enough the right
27 > version of
28 > something-or-other will be installed and something broken will start
29 > working
30 > again. The ~ version of gnome actually has fewer problems that way
31 > than the
32 > stable version.
35 Running strace on gphoto2 doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as gphoto2
36 always works just fine. A trace on gthumb also doesn't make sense in my
37 mind, since it seems to correctly be telling me that gvfs doesn't see
38 anything more than it does, though I don't know enough to say for sure
39 that there's no separation.
40
41 If there was a way I could run a trace on gvfs itself, that might be
42 more profitable, but that sounds big and scary, and like something I'd
43 need help with.
44
45 I've looked around at the gvfs-*, and most of them seem to want me to
46 know what I want them to look at, and are mostly interested in telling
47 me about literal paths. I haven't found a way to get any of them to say
48 "Hey, I see your camera, and it doesn't work because X."
49
50 Your last paragraph rings truer to me. I just wish I had something
51 concrete to go on. ;)
52
53 Thanks,
54