From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Redundant / hot-swap server hardware (available in UK).
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:04:01
1 Hi there,
2
3 I'm looking to deploy a couple of servers for Gentoo use & I'm
4 wondering if anyone has any recommendations. There requirements for
5 each are slightly different, but what is in common is that I want
6 hotswap SATA hard-drives (a simple mirror RAID is probably fine) & PSUs.
7
8 Background / what I've used before:
9
10 At home:
11 - Compaq Proliant 6500, which I picked up cheap a couple of years
12 ago. This is an older PII quad Xeon with hot-swap SCSI drives on
13 hardware RAID and it has been fun to play around with (I wrote the
14 HOWTO on the Gentoo-wiki for this machine) but ultimately I haven't
15 migrated services to it because it has quirks that I don't seem to be
16 able to overcome. I don't know whether there is a problem with my
17 particular machine or whether the problem is Linux support for this
18 model of hardware - it is quite unusual, sporting big riser cards
19 for RAM and various sub-boards elsewhere in the machine which are
20 cabled to the m/board - but I've pretty much resigned myself to the
21 fact that I've wasted FAR too much of my spare time troubleshooting
22 it & I'm much better off junking the hardware & replacing it. That
23 frees up my time to actually do something constructive on my server.
24 Also new hardware would seem to allow me to use SATA drives, which
25 are much cheaper than the Proliant's SCSI.
26
27 At work:
28 - I also need a server for a client. Load & data-throughput aren't
29 going to be high, but reliability is obviously important. The client
30 probably doesn't need hot-swap hard-drives & PSUs but can afford to
31 pay for the reassurance that they give him - a £1200 high-end server
32 like this would probably be seen as "more professional" and "better"
33 than two cheap £400 boxes, even though some analyses might reason the
34 latter to provide more redundancy. After all, the PSUs and hard-
35 drives are the components most likely to fail, so this does make
36 sense. About a year ago I chose a Dell PowerEdge 2800 for another
37 customer and although that is running Windows Server what I really
38 like about this system is that it's much quieter than the Proliant
39 (variable speed fans) and a 3-year on-site warranty was quite
40 affordable.
43 So for the home server, big & cheap is order of the day. It just
44 needs loads of space for all the hard-drives I'm going to stuff in
45 there & fill with music & movies, and I want PCI slots so I can stuff
46 TV tuners, wireless cards, ADSL modems & whatnot for my home-geekery,
47 secure in the knowledge that a failing hard-drive won't affect my
48 email server.
49
50 I know about the 5.25" SATA hot-swap hard-drive trays such as <http://
51 www.pc-pitstop.com/sata_cages_enclosures/mb455spf.asp> <http://
52 www.icydock.com/product/images/455_largeview_open.jpg> but I suspect
53 by the time I've bought two or three of them (£80 each at Scan.co.uk)
54 and a honkin' big case to put them in that something purpose made
55 might be better.
56
57 This Chenbro server case looks extremely tempting <http://
58 www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_01features.php?serno=33>. As I
59 understand it, you choose the empty case AND a backplane suitable for
60 the kind of drive (SATA, SCSI) you want to put in it - presumably the
61 drive doors at the front are just simple doors and the standard
62 connector at the back of the hard-drive needs the backplane (of the
63 suitable variety) to connect to. I've found a number of European
64 suppliers whose webpages say "click for a quote" but the US site
65 rackmountnet.com lists this at $763 including the SATA backplane.
66
67 It seems to me that using a "standard" server case like this would
68 allow me to repurpose an ATX m/board that I'm not using much at the
69 moment, and after all, the Tyan Tiger 760MPX that I have in mind is
70 "server grade". That has a 64-bit PCI slow, which would enable me to
71 use a 3ware SATA controller - I'm told (via the MythTV list) that
72 these are the bee's knees under Linux, and the PCI version is
73 affordable if I shop around.
74
75 Finally, for a home-build server, I find PSUs such as <http://
76 www.chieftec.de/?page=products_big&id=266&k_id=4&language=uk> listed.
77 These appear to be intended as "standard" parts that can be put in
78 your server case of choice - that site's FAQ <http://www.chieftec.de/?
79 page=faq&language=uk&id=34> suggests that they're the same ATX form-
80 factor as the PSU in my workstation, or possibly a little larger
81 "extended ATX", presumably good for the Chenbro.
82
83 My concerns about these components are:
84 - the price _is_ starting to add up now. It will be ... um ...
85 interesting to see how this stacks up against the off-the-shelf
86 server I spec up for my clients.
87 - the Chenbro has 4 fans across the centre of the case. Is it
88 possible to manage their speed in Linux?
89 - the Dell & Compaq servers have a light & o/s-level notifications if
90 one of the PSUs fail. I doubt if this is the case with the PSUs above?
94 So the office server needs to be available off the shelf, with decent
95 warranty / service options. It doesn't need any PCI space or many
96 hard-drive bays, but things like fan-speed & hard-drive failure
97 notifications (I'd prefer PSU, too) need to be supported by Linux.
98 OSS / main kernel-tree drivers are good. It doesn't matter if this
99 server is quite a large tower or rackmount design, but it needs to
100 sit in the corner of the client's office, so it can't be too loud. 15
101 months ago we paid about £1300 for the Dell PowerEdge with 3 hot-swap
102 drives, hot-swap PSUs & some bells & whistles - I'd expect cost
103 comparative with that, but using SATA.
104
105 Thanks for your tolerance over the length of this post.
106
107 Any suggestions?
108
109 Stroller.