From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: revdep-rebuild never seems to "work"
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:35:51
1 > What I don't understand is why doesn't it just do this:
2 >
3 > emerge app-admin/gnome-system-tools app-editors/gedit app-text/evince
4 > gnome-base/control-center gnome-base/gdm
5
6 because there are slotted packages - and revdep-rebuild would have to
7 take the newest version within the same slot. That is a task, that is
8 not very simple - well, actually portage (emerge itself) has a major bug
9 for slotted packages:
10 emerge only noticed updates within the latest slot
11
12 (so portage will not notice any update to gcc 3.3 if you've got gcc 3.4
13 installed, for example)
14
15 > In other words, why does it try to force the = and the version?
16 >
17 > More often than not, if I take those off (like the second line), then shit
18 > just works.
19
20 yes, it does because you're lucky and don't have slotted packages in
21 that line.
22
23 > I've tried the flag --package-names, but it doesn't seem to do anything
24 > different.
25 > Am I being retarded?
26
27 I remember, that it once worked for me! really!
28
29 You have to remove ~/.rev* and then run "revdep-rebuild --package-names"
30 again.