From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frame-buffer modes on an eee-pc
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:33:09
1 On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:02:59PM +0100, Penguin Lover Peter Humphrey squawked:
2 > root (hd0,4)
3 > kernel /kernel-2.6.31-gentoo root=/dev/sda6 video=intelfb:mode=1024x600
4 > softlevel=no-x
5 >
6 > When I accidentally hit on the configuration I liked, the display started at
7 > the standard 80x25, then when it got to "Waiting for uevents to be
8 > processed" the screen blanked and then continued in something like 60 lines
9 > (I didn't actually count them); finally at udev-postmount the line length
10 > was changef from 80 to something like 120 (I didn't count that either). A
11 > very pretty display, clear as crystal.
12 >
13 > Can anybody point me to the config I need? I've tried google of course but
14 > no joy there.
15
16 Is the framebuffer working? I mean, when you boot with the parameters
17 listed up there, are you stuck in 80x25 or are you in a framebuffer
18 mode that you don't like?
19
20 If you are stuck in 80x25 text-mode, the intelfb kernel documentation
21 suggests you try setting the vga mode, see the file vesafb.txt in your
22 kernel documentation directories for details. (The problem is that the
23 vesafb modes do not include one that is the native resolution for the
24 16:9 aspect ratio displays; on LCDs this will make the text look
25 crappy).
26
27 If the framebuffer is working, maybe you just want to play with the
28 screen resolution? I think that 1024x600 is correct for the 1000
29 series though. Do you just want a certain number of rows and columns
30 of text on your console? That I think is determined by the FONTS
31 symbol, the configuration should be somewhere around where you enabled
32 framebuffer support. Changing the font size should also change the
33 number of rows and columns.
34
35 On yres of 600, if you want something close to 60 lines, then you may
36 want to try using the 8x8 VGA font. The standard 8x16 fonts will
37 provide 30 someodd lines.
38
39 W
40 --
41 REMEMBER: "Stressed" spelled backward is "desserts"
42 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1019 days, 10:05